- 1 3/4 lb broccoli raab, thick stems discarded
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 1 (750-ml) bottle red wine (preferably Zinfandel)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped (2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Parmesan Cheese
- Boil and cook spaghetti, stirring occasionally, ONLY 5 minutes (pasta will not be fully cooked). 3.
- Drain in colander and return empty pot to stovetop. Add wine and sugar to pot and boil vigorously 2 minutes. Add spaghetti and shake pot to prevent pasta from sticking. Gently stir with tongs until coated and boil over high heat, stirring occasionally, until most of liquid is absorbed, about 6 minutes (pasta will be al dente and bright red!).
- While spaghetti is cooking, sauté broc raab, garlic and red pepper flakes in oil in a deep skillet over moderately low heat, shaking skillet occasionally until the broc raab is tender.
- Add spaghetti mixture into skillet, tossing with tongs to combine (skillet will be very full). Cook, stirring, until all of wine is absorbed, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese.