- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch tuscan kale, cut into 1/2 strips
- Fava beans, shelled
- 1 onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 TBSP tomato paste
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley (save some for topping at the end)
- 5 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 qt water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb Italian sausage (optional)
- Heat oil over medium heat in large pot. Add onions, carrots and salt. Sauté until tender, about 5-8 minutes depending on how finely you’ve chopped them.
- Add garlic and tomatoes and return to fragrant simmer.
- Add water + broth, tomato paste, parsley. Bring to a boil and simmer 10 minutes.
- (Optional) For added protein, sauté Italian sausage in skillet while water is heating. Add to soup during last few minutes.
- Add kale and fava beans, then simmer 5-10 minutes more until al dente.
- Serve and top with grated parmesan and fresh parsley.