- 2 sweet potatoes (~1 lb)
- 1 yellow onion
- 1/4-1/2cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup spinach, thinly sliced
- 1 green tomato, thinly sliced
- Aioli ingredients:
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic (more or less depending on your taste)
- 2 to 4 fresh sage leaves (or 1 tsp dried sage, to taste)
- Using a cuisinart (or box grater), grate the onion. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible from mixture and leave to keep draining while work on the sweet potatoes.
- Do the same with the sweet potatoes.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sweet potatoes, onions, flour, salt/pepper and eggs until well combined.
- Start with 1/4 cup flour. If the mixture isn’t sticking together when you form it into a ball, add more flower.
- Form into balls and then flatten into a 3-inch disc.
- To cook, either fry in a skillet or bake on a non-stick baking sheet until they are golden brown.
- If baking, bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, flipping over half way through.
- While the latkes are baking, blend the aioli ingredients together in a blender.
- Top with thinly sliced spinach leaves, a thinly sliced green tomato and a zesty aioli.