Recipe of the week, July 19: Fresh Turnip Salad
- 4 turnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 2 Granny Smith apples – peeled, cored and chopped
- 4 slices canned pineapple, chopped
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add turnips and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, and cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the turnips, green onions, apples, pineapple and sugar. Stir to evenly coat with the sugar.
- Whisk together the oil, water, salt and pepper. Pour dressing over fruit and vegetables. Toss and refrigerate overnight.