- 1 1/2 lbs vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1-2 small jalapeños, seeded and minced
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon green coriander
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Start by blanching the tomatoes. To do this, fill a 6-quart pot halfway full of water, set over high heat and bring to a boil. Make an X with a paring knife on the bottom of the tomatoes. Drop the tomatoes into the boiling water for 15 seconds, remove and transfer to an ice bath and allow to cool until able to handle, approximately 1 minute.
- Next, peel, core and chop the tomatoes.
- Add the diced cucumber, bell pepper, red onion, jalapeño, garlic, olive oil, lime juice, balsamic vinegar, coriander, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Transfer 2 cups of the mixture to a blender and puree for 15 to 20 seconds on high speed. Return the pureed mixture to the bowl and stir to combine.
- You can eat immediately or cover and chill for 2 hours (and up to overnight) to let the flavors soak in.
- Top with basil